Net-Works Laguna Beach 501 (c) (3) is both a non-profit community and a Christian Community (member of the Association of Vineyard Churches).
Together our desire is to be a very real and loving community:
• embracing the wonderful diversity of Laguna Beach
• making many friends and serving many
• helping people with their pain and passions of life
• living a life of love as Jesus did, making God and people visible
Our strategy is to build relational networks that resource others on their journey of life.
As we connect with the pain and passions of our city through friendship and practical help, we invite people into God’s best for our lives. We believe God made us to be about a “connected and shared life”, calling us out of doing life alone and living for ourselves. So we are about connecting with people to share our resources so others can be encouraged to discover their unique design and destiny.
“People helping people come into a new season of life” is what we have been about as we work closely with the homeless, single moms, seniors, mentally challenged and those struggling with addictions and their families.
Thus far we have:
• helped secure housing and work for 16 homeless friends (including 5 single parents)
• obtained 8 cars to help them commute to work and school
• provided meals to the homeless and seniors (2 times a week)
• assisted many single moms (parents) and their children
• taken first steps to create “Restart Work Program”
• helped many “invisible people become visible”through friendship and care
• created a safe place for the mentally ill to come and find peace and acceptance
• hosted and facilitated NAMI Groups (National Association of Mental Illness)
• offered counseling and groups for those struggling with addictions and their families
• seen the power of love change the course of many people’s lives
"HELPING HANDS FROM THE HOMELESS” WORK PROGRAM”
“MAKING A WAY FOR OUR HOMELESS FRIENDS TO GIVE BACK AND GET BACK"
• Creating opportunities for them to give back in and to Laguna Beach by helping others.
• Creating a way for them to get back into the workforce and move out of homelessness..
• We find projects in the city (helping seniors, disabled people and other opportunities that come our way via our partners in the city)
• Each project will have a supervisor working with a team of homeless to accomplish the work project.)
• We will gift each homeless friend $11.00 an hour giving them a first taste and step in giving back to LB and getting back into the workforce
“HOME AGAIN” HOUSING ASSISTANCE
• we have helped 15 people find apartments in and around LB
• APARTMENTS - helping people find an affordable apartment and supplementing their rents for a period of time
• HOUSES - (upcoming plan) identify & invite those who have shown us that they are ready for a “new season” into a supervised and structured transition house (6 months to a year) in Laguna Beach
• this will be a contractual arrangement that will create a “pathway for growth & responsibility”
• we will identify and work with landlords that will allow multiple occupancy (6-8) in their homes
• we will require tenants to pay an appropriate monthly fee, according to their income
• our desire is to have houses for men, women and single moms with their children
““RESTART” WORK PROGRAM
• from Helping Hands, we want to make a way for our homeless friends to find work in L.B
• we identify and invite motivated “street friends” to build a relationship with us via Helping Hands
•identify and invite motivated “street friends” to build relationship with us via working on projects at Laguna Exchange or in the city
• after that we will match them to merchants in the city who are “homeless friendly” and want to give them work/tasks that they have for them to do
• these tasks can be one time, occasional or a step toward regular employment with the merchant
• Net-Works will gift the workers at first with a gift card equivalent to $11.00 an hour. This will show the merchants our commitment to help our “street friends” and give them a cost-free experience
• our hope and intention is for merchants to hire them, giving them a new beginning and permanence..
“People helping people come into more of life” is what we have been about as we connect with the many and diverse passions of Laguna Beach.
Thus far we have:
• networked many artists, dancers and musicians and offered encouragement and help in their journeys
• invited young people of our city to perform at our Laguna Exchange Store
• hosted and facilitated groups to offer tools and support for further growth in their careers
started Laguna Beach Street Art - encouraging the homeless to express their creativity
• partnered with KX93.5 and Blue Water to create and host “Laguna Beach Street Artists Festival”
• partnered with LCAD (Laguna College of Art and Design) - hiring and intern opportunities at Laguna Exchange
• networked many businesses via mixers to build relationships and bring resources to each other and into our city
• begun to network non-profits in Laguna Beach to build relationships and bring resources to each other and into our city
“retail with a purpose”
Visit Laguna Exchange , a non-profit buy/sell/trade clothing store that aims to help the less fortunate of laguna beach including the homeless, single moms, seniors, mentally ill and those struggling with addiction and their families.
• We open our doors to give people a unique shopping experience with a purpose
• We open our hearts to work with those who are ready to transition into a new season of life
WE INVITE YOU TO HELP US BY:
• ENJOYING OUR UNIQUE SELECTION OF TRENDY AND VINTAGE ATTIRE
• SELLING YOUR CLOTHES (WE TAKE DONATIONS TOO)
• TELLING YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT US
• PARTNERING WITH US TO SERVE THE COMMUNITY
TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
(OUR DREAM IN THE WORKS)
Net-Works “Casa” will be in the city like a hub of a wagon wheel with many connecting spokes (networks) - (like a heart connected to many arteries (networks) pumping in and out activity)
• Casa will be a place in the city for Net-Works Community to be about it’s mission to “network the passions and pain” of the people of Laguna
• A homebase for Net-Works Community to meet and operate from.
• Allowing us to offer hospitality to people in LB, inviting them into “what’s ours” (relationship -groups - mission - kingdom)
• Also allowing us to share our house with friends in the city, “mi casa es su casa” - inviting them to use our Casa (for groups, meetings, art exhibitions, yoga - dance, youth nights with their bands, etc)
• Net-Works Casa will be an active and attractive place in LB, having a diverse, day and night schedule that will connect with the people of LB
Don and Karen grew up in Long Island and started married life and ministry life in 1976. In the end of 1997, they brought their family to Southern California and continued to serve as Associate pastors on a few churches. Their 3 children and 4 grandchildren all live in South Orange County.
The special assignment to come to Laguna Beach came as a surprise which birthed Net-Works Laguna Beach, a non-profit with a desire and mission is to create relational networks that resource people in their journeys of life. Connecting with the pain and passions of people to encourage healing and growth has been the "heart of the matter" for Don and Karen.
Christian Community Sunday Gathering
Our story and journey is to be like Jesus and to continue what He began. We exist to be His followers/disciples in and to our world. "A disciple is one who embraces both the PERSON and MISSION of Jesus". Jesus came to "make God visible"as He "lived a life of love". His life was INCARNATIONAL and INVITATIONAL. He showed people what God was like and invited them to know God as he did.
As they said YES, they became His disciples and part of His mission and community. That's what we want to be about. Our desire is to be a very loving and visible community, embracing the wonderful diversity of Laguna Beach, making many friends and serving many. Net-Works will be best defined by WHAT IT’S PEOPLE ARE ABOUT DURING THE WEEK. Our mission creates our community and the meaning and context for our gatherings. “Church should be what ends up happening as a natural response to people wanting to be with us, follow us and be like us as we are following the way of Jesus”
Purpose of Our Gatherings
We have found that when people are bent on mission first, the gatherings take on different purposes.
Our gatherings/groups are functional to serve in three primary ways.
1. to Celebrate and Encourage our Identity and Mission as God’s People (Sunday's)
2. to bring Care and Equipping to us as a community (weekly groups)
3. to help others with their Passions and Pain. (listed on web-site)
Visit Laguna Beachnet-works at the Women’s Club of laguna beach 286 st Ann’s Drive, L.B. 92651 9:15 a.m. breakfast 10:00 a.m. weekly gathering
ALL ARE WELCOME
Sunday Gatherings are a time to:
• RE-UNITE as God’s people from our mission fields
• REJOICE in the love and mission that is ours from God (time to tell stories)
• RENEWED AND RESOURCED as we worship and receive His love and Spirit, we are resourced from relationship ("the army is armed in the arms of the Father")
• RE-ENVISIONED as followers of Jesus to "live a life of love"
• RELEASED (RE-COMMISSIONED) to love many
Partnering With Us.
Don Sciortino, Founder and President
Karen Sciortino, Co-founder and Board Secretary
Paul and Terry Marchi, Assistants to President and Board Treasurer
Keitha Russel, Chairwoman of the Board
Mark Walleigh, Board Trustee
Bruce Stratton, Board Trustee
Kent Russel, Board of Advisor
Carl Kikerpill, Board of Advisor
David Mandani, Board of Advisor
Gayle Duncan, Board of Advisor
Net-Works Laguna Beach, a non-profit organization.
Click Here for map directions